Thursday, March 5, 2009

AntiVirus 2009 Removal AND AntiVirus XP Removal !!

I got a laptop in yesterday with both Antivirus 2009 and Antivirus XP. Those are both actually malicious programs and it looks like they came in from Limewire. The laptop had been infected for about 2 months and I could tell the owner had tried a lot of the 'fixes' on the internet, but rarely do those solve the problem. With the laptop being infected for 2 months, it definitely required the manual touch.

I noticed upon running our home-made 'virus inspection' the virus had modified a critical system file that, if removed, the system would not let a user log in. I made note of this and restored the file with a 'clean' file.

I'm nearly done with the clean-up, I just need to go through and enable some of the features the virus disabled, such as changing the wallpaper and using Microsoft's registry editing tools. It will only take me a few minutes, but it was closing time.

This will be another customer happy that we were able to disinfect the computer rather than using the so-call 'nuke and pave' method that many other shops use. I haven't had to resort to that method yet this year actually. :)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete